Thursday, March 18, 2010

Able Magwitch

When Able Magwitch comes back into the book it is somewhat suprising, but brings some loose ends together. On the other hand, since Pip has become a gentleman the reader has become used to a higher level of diction and to have Able Magwitch jump back into the scene the book becomes harder to understand because Able has a lower level of diction than Pip. Magwitch's disadvantage has made me start to ponder what he means by "Howsomever, I'm a-getting low, and I know what's due. Dear boy and Pip's comrade, don't you be afeerd of me getting low."(371)It seems to me that Able is trying to tell Pip of his life's story without a dialect that might impose upon a gentleman's status. But why would Able M. be "afeerd" of getting "low" in front of Pip, who would have never been a gentleman if it hadn't been for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment